Hi friends! I am here today to discuss some very important news. Did you know California is in a drought? By now, you probably do. In fact, California just endured the driest January, February, and March in recorded history! Normally, these are the State’s wettest months.
The word “drought” may seem scary but, luckily, there are easy steps each of us can take at home to ensure we are making the most of our water resources so that the drought stays under control.
- Wash full loads of laundry and dishes.
- Limit showers to five minutes or fewer. One of my favorite ways to do this is by playing my favorite song while I shower and making sure I am finished by the time the song ends!
- Adhere to your city or local water agency’s watering schedule. If needed, use a hose with a shutoff nozzle to hand water your plants or dry areas of your lawn. And don’t forget to only water in the morning before sunrise or at night after sunset to reduce evaporation!
- Plant California natives for a drought resilient garden.
- If you need to wash your car, take it to an automatic car wash instead of washing it at home.
By following these simple steps, we can ensure that California’s water is stretched and access to a clean, reliable water supply is guaranteed. Remember, the time is NOW to save water!For more information on the drought and water saving tips that you can share with family and friends, be sure to check out the drought status page on IEUA’s website!
That’s all I have for today, friends! I’ll see you all soon with my next drop of water wisdom!